Friday, May 06, 2011

Finally. A Shorebird! Plus, Another Suprise.

Every morning, after I drop of the oldest at school, I make my way to my own class by circling the neighborhood lakes to see if I can find anything interesting birds along the way. The lakes have been drying out as our lack of rainfall continues so there should be no reason to not being seeing shorebirds migrating North. Usually begin seeing them in late April. None this year.

But, wait! I little speck along the shore at Lake Lancaster!! Our first Spotted Sandpiper of the season. Sun was just reaching the treetops so the light was not great.

Spotted Sandpiper

Still a welcome sight. I tried to get more shots but a family of Mallards, including 8 ducklings, swam directly to the piper's spot and moved it farther away.

Spotted Sandpiper

A Barn Swallow flew by overhead as I retreated from the lake. Running low on time I headed back to the van and packed the camera. As soon as I snapped the top closed I heard something calling nearby. Up on the wires were several birds. They looked like they might be more swallows. Out with the camera, again.

Purple Martin

Turns out they were Purple Martins. However, I have never seen babies out of the Martin house before so it was still an interesting discovery.

Purple Martin

What might we find tomorrow after our passed front?

No comments: