Monday, March 07, 2011

Canvasback Duck

Finally!

I have been speculating that there should be an appearance of a Canvasback Duck on Lake Davis for a couple years. We first had some just to the North a few years ago so why should they avoid this spot where I have been finding Redheads and even White Pelicans this season?

Just got a request for information if there really was a Canvasback on Lake Davis as was reported to a web post since I live just a few blocks away. Been awaiting this moment for so long, it seems.

I picked the boys up from school and headed home, telling them to keep an open eye on the ducks. Shortly, I spotted her.

Canvasback Duck

Yes!

As we had to head home to get homework started I was happy with a pretty good ID shot in a couple of minutes. I will head back later for more shots if she sticks around. Ducks are gearing up for their trip back North soon.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Congrats!! I think I saw a canvasback last Friday but the pictures were fuzzy... Going back out tomorrow to look for them.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Still there today (3/10/11). Good luck!