Monday, February 21, 2011

One Last GBBC Count for the Year

The Great Backyard Bird Count ends today so I had to head out early and get in one more report. I took the camera along just in case but didn't really plan of using it for some reason. Turns out I used it quite a bit.

Ring-necked Ducks are thinning out as we head toward Spring but it was nice to find a Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker around the lake. Can't recall seeing the feathers so pretty before.

Northern Flicker

Finished the count at Lake Davis and headed over the Lake Lancaster. Hasn't been a lot of birds there of late but I knew I could add at least a few more species. I always seem to forget about certain birds that are so common like Boat-tailed Grackles. Until they turn and catch the sunlight.

Boat-tailed Grackle

Just feet away was a Tri-colored Heron feeding amongst the Mallards.

Tri-colored Heron

Started hearing loud calls soon afterwards and first thought someone grabbed themselves a Peacock. Then it dawned on me that it was a Limpkin creating all the racket. Then it flew in near me for verification. I couldn't get a good shot through the tree branches so I had to settle for a Little Blue Heron in another part of the tree being extremely quiet.

Little Blue Heron

That count done, it was time to swing through the Greenwood Cemetery to check on the Bald Eagle nest. As I have mentioned before, I was trying to get a shot of one of the chicks. I did see that there are definitely two chicks in there but only one was up in the open.

Bald Eagle

The adults flew back and forth dropping off fish for the chicks and I managed to get a shot of one of the adults taking off back to gather more food.

Bald Eagle

While awaiting the return of the adult Eagles, I noticed some movements of Pileated Woodpeckers around the area. They eventually headed over to the tree where the eagles had the nest before. This now dead tree is currently the home of the woodpeckers and I hope to get some shots of the chick in the future. For now I settle for the female peaking out of the nest hole.

Pileated Woodpecker

Just above the nest hole were a pair of European Starlings trying to figure out if they could find residence in another cavity in the same tree.

European Starling

As I waited for the woodpeckers to return I was greeted by the calls of a Northern Mockingbird just under the dead tree in a shrub. It allowed me close approach to get some shots.

Northern Mockingbird

So close that I could get action shots of it singing away. Awesome views, awesome songs. Spring is here. Finally.

Northern Mockingbird

What will reveal itself next? Still waiting for the Robins and Waxwings.

No comments: