Monday, March 23, 2009

Huge Flock of Brown-headed Cowbirds

I have never noticed many Brown-headed Cowbirds in the Orlando area except for over at Mead Garden where I witnessed a Northern Parula feeding a chick of this parasitic species many years ago.

Today, however, I found a flock of around 200 at a park toward the airport.

It was raining and I had some chores to do, otherwise I wouldn't have even been on that side of town. Since I documented a Snow Goose out here a couple of years ago I decided to see what was in the ponds.

I heard them well before seeing them. They carpeted the trees and were flying to and from the small pond.

Brown-headed Cowbird

They sometimes landed right near me, when they weren't being flushed by the other park visitors. This male gave me a pose for a few seconds.

Brown-headed Cowbird

As did a female.

Brown-headed Cowbird

Why were they all over the pond's shore? Someone had spread many piles of bird seed all over the place.

Brown-headed Cowbird

Meanwhile, the Mallard family was having none of it...

Brown-headed Cowbird

No comments: