Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Interesting Feathers Ya Got There!

The front from yesterday cleared out and brought in cooler temperatures and many, many Sundogs.

Sundog

Later in the day I walked back to my desk and noticed a large bird on top of the pine tree across the parking lot. I took a couple of distant shots and thought nothing more about it. Until I got home and actually looked at the photos.

What the heck was THAT!?

Red-tailed Hawk

Not a familiar bird to me. Several species of hawks hunt in this area but none look like this bird.

I quickly emailed more experienced raptor birders and the reviews were mixed. The final answer of a dark morph Red-tailed Hawk was settled upon.

Red-tailed Hawk

They do not breed this far east and are rarely seen here.

Always something new.

No comments: