Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hooded Mergansers Perform

I often check the retention pond across from work as every year a number of Hooded Mergansers call it home for the Winter months. I really enjoy watching these birds, especially when I can find them doing mating dances in the swallow waters.

This day would find me over at the pond as night was closing in. The ducks were also at the far end of the pond since they are very wary of people but I can sit in the van and try for some shots from there. The shots aren't that great but I thought I would share some of the behaviors that I observe just to illustrate.

So, on with the show! First, the males circle around the female and every now and then stretch out their necks while flaring their crests.

Hooded Merganser

Once they think that they have the female's attention, they get ready for the next dance step. This involves tucking in their chins...

Hooded Merganser

...hovering in one spot while they start to paddle in the water. They then open their mouths and begin to raise their body out of the water.

Hooded Merganser

Then they tilt back and thrust their chest upward, head all the way back to their backs. They settle back into the water and observe the female.

Hooded Merganser

What he usually gets for his trouble is the female chasing him away!

Hooded Merganser

Meanwhile, the next male stretches his wings to prepare for his display.

Hooded Merganser

I have never observed them mating during this display ritual but then I am not there all of the time. It is a really interesting sight to behold.

No comments: