Monday, October 13, 2008

A Walk Through Mead Garden

There have been a lot of reports of rare Vireos over at Mead Garden. Damned if I could find any but I needed the quiet walk. Not many birds moving at all when I stopped by. Even the the Hummingbirds were bored.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

However, I did have one of those "amazing" moments as I rounded the (still fractured) boardwalk.

A small group of Carolina Wrens were vocalizing like mad as I neared the end of the boardwalk. Some even hopped out right in front of me up on the railings. I tried to get a shot but they were manic. They soon started moving behind me, though still very close.

I turned to follow one and noticed the object of their anger. A Barred Owl was perched up in the tree just off of the boardwalk. I had just walked 2 feet beneath it and never saw it.

Barred Owl

We chatted awhile as I snapped photos but she soon got nervous as a pair of women approached from the back where I just came from. I stood still and let them have the awe sink in. Their camera batteries failed as they tried shots and the owl soon took off.

Nice walk, indeed. Even without the new Life Birds I was seeking.

No comments: