Thursday, August 14, 2008

Purple Gallinule Family

While making a courtesy call on the rangers of Lake Lotus to make preparations for scouting the area for proposed banding this weekend I got to do a little birding, too. Didn't see any rangers upon arrival so I wandered down the boardwalk and as I was heading along the side of the river I heard a familiar call.

There is a pair of Barred Owls that make Lake Lotus home so I veered off of my original path to track the hoots not far away. Sitting in a cypress tree over the boardwalk toward the lake I found what I was searching for.

Barred Owl

This owl was calling from this spot while the other returned the call from much farther away.

Satisfied with those shots I got back on track and heard the golf cart rumblings of one of the rangers back near the parking lot. I found Frank and he mentioned that there was a family of Purple Gallinules down by the lake just a few minutes ago. "Think they are still there?", I asked. "Hop on and we will go see.", he responded.

As we neared the fishing pier, we could hear the Gallinules calling. The reason for this was the hawk sitting atop the gazebo at the entrance to the pier. I only had time for a quick shot as it spotted us and headed for the safety of the trees.

Red-shouldered Hawk

One of the adults continued to sound the alarm for 15 minutes after the hawk left. Reminded me of a party horn.

Purple Gallinule

Scattered around the lotus leaves were 3 Gallinule chicks. The bravest kept checking me out as the clouds darkened and night was closing in.

Purple Gallinule

The adults began searching for food, feeding themselves and then the chicks once they realized that mom and dad had found something worth tasting.

Purple Gallinule

It was fun to watch the chicks maneuver across the leaves. Look at the size of those feet!

Purple Gallinule

Mom was really good at snatching snails along the leaves and would prize out the flesh and the young birds would try to grab what they could. "Hey, Mom! Where is that snail?"

Purple Gallinule

"Never mind. I found one!"

Purple Gallinule

A planned quick visit turned into an hour and a half and 200 photos! Glad I stuck around.

4 comments:

Amila Salgado said...

Lovely colours of that Purple Gallinule. Enjoyed the interesting captures of the behavioural sequences.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos of the gallinule family. I would love to show them to the children in my class.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Feel free, Evelyn.

Let me know if you need better resolution shots and your email.

Anonymous said...

You're falling behind Arthur.

Lancelot