Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Spoonbills Visit Orlando

Yesterday, I stopped by Lake Davis to snap some shots to combine to make a panorama-type composite to show the low lake level. Today we started to get some rain storms move through so on the way home I decided to swing around and see if I could notice any rise in the waters.

It was still raining lightly and nearly dark as I arrived at the lake but out on 'bird island' I could make out some larger shapes congregating there. I got the binoculars out and pulled closer.

Beside the black and white Woodstorks there was a slightly smaller bird and definitely PINK! Really?!?

By the time I was able to park just past a stand of cypress trees the bird had begun to forage. Indeed, it was a Roseatte Spoonbill right here in the backyard neighborhood!

Roseatte Spoonbill

Lake Davis continues to surprise this year.

Spoonbills generally hang out around the coasts and rarely make a stop this far inland. A nice addition to the color palette during this quiet beginning to Summer.

Let it rain...

NOTE: I am a bit behind on my posts, though I have a few drafts still waiting in the wings that date back to the start of June. Be sure to check back later and scroll down for any other June sighting I haven't entered yet. Hopefully, I can catch up before the end of the month!

No comments: