Sunday, January 22, 2017

Green-winged Teal

Early in the season I found a few female Green-winged Teal in the lake but haven't noticed them lately. This I discovered from a Facebook friend that a male was now out there. I swung by and, sure enough, there he was. I tried for a couple of shots before a jogger flushed it and other teal to the other side of the lake.

Green-winged Teal

For some reason I always thing that Blue-winged Teal and Green-winged Teal are the same size. Looking at this shot you can tell that Green-wings are much smaller.

Green-winged Teal, Blue-winged Teal

The male headed up to shore to join a female. I am starting to see that I have damaged my lens somewhat, Any shots taken at the full 300 mm distance are definitely not in sharp focus any longer. Sigh.

Green-winged Teal

Time for a little drink of water.

Green-winged Teal

Here is a good example why Green-winged Teal are named that. The green really flashes when she turns to the light just right.

Green-winged Teal

One last shot of the male as he picks through the leaf litter.

Green-winged Teal

Despite my slightly crippled optics I finally got some pretty good shots of a male Green-winged Teal. All of my previous opportunities were shrouded in rain and clouds. I will have to check back in with this pair soon!

No comments: