Friday, April 07, 2006

The Unexpected Wigeons

I wasn't paying attention to the fact that Wigeons would be out in the Washington area. We get a smattering of American Wigeons in places like Merritt Island in the winter and I guess that in my mind that's where they would be still and yet to move back north.

All of the Wigeons I have encountered in Florida have been, oh, 100 yards away or more. Here they were much closer in various locations. Most were off to the side of the road in small ponds or in waterways leading in from the ocean but always in spots I couldn't just stop and view them easily.

The first place I did find a spot to view them I almost didn't.

After my 10 mile hike out to Dungeness I decided to stop at some of the spots mentioned in the Washington bird finding guide. Most were directly across from the Dungeness Spit and past Sequim (pronounced "Squim") on the way back to homebase in Port Orchard.

One of these spots was by the Three Crabs Restaurant. It overlooks Dungeness Bay and was marked for numerous chances to see some birds. As I parked in the gravel parking lot I had noticed some ducks to my left but didn't really think too much about it. Some were Mallards for sure, so...

I headed up the dead end road noticing American Wigeons in the ponds and a House Finch pair on the fences. Heading back toward the restaurant and curiosity got the better of me and I parked in the lot again and got out to check out the Mallards I had seen earlier. Good thing I did. It got another Life Bird for me.

Among the Mallards and American Wigeons was one rarer bird: Eurasian Wigeon. Easily told apart from the American variety by the Rufus head feathers, even in the fading light, it was dabbling back in forth in the mixed flock. Still a little too far out for a great picture but fine for ID.

Eurasian Wigeon

I also like the small group of American Wigeons doing some sort of display in that shot. In the next shot you can see the Eurasian in the middle, Mallard behind him and an American Wigeons surrounding them.

Eurasian Wigeon

There was still one more unexpected Wigeon to be found. Rather shocking to find this behavior. Maybe they figured some square like me being so far away couldn't get to them in trouble so what the heck...

If I ever do find this little rascal's parents you bet I will tell them that their precious baby is being a bad influence on his peers. I mean, I never even knew Wigeons COULD do such a thing. Imagine the surprise, finding a duck that can smoke!

Eurasian Wigeon

With all the wind that day I am can't fathom how he even got the thing lit.

No comments: