Saturday, December 13, 2014

Saturday Morning Wood Ducks

I awoke with my sinuses threatening to spoil the morning so I headed our for a drive around the local lakes and some fresh air. There was not a lot of bird action but on the way back home I spotted a pair of Wood Ducks at Lake Emerald. The Sun was just about in the right position to stop and try for a photo or two.

Wood Duck

The female Wood Duck was on top of one of the nest boxes at the water's edge.

Wood Duck

Several times, she would peer inside the box opening and then right herself again. Made me start wondering if they are looking for a nest, which would seem kind of odd for this time of year. However, I see new Muscovy ducklings on another lake so maybe in these warm climates they nest most of the year.

Wood Duck

The entire time the female was exploring the box, the male Wood Duck kept watch from below on the water. Sunlight highlighted the colors on one of my favorite birds.

Wood Duck

Better yet, my sinuses had cleared. On with the day!

No comments: