Saturday, January 02, 2016

Lake Apopka New Year's Drive, Part 2

Made my way back around to the start of the drive and got a shot of the new sign and gate at the entrance. Rather penal-looking. They are now automated and open at sunrise and close by sunset. At the exit gate, you have to stop in a specific spot or it won't open. Should be interesting once the the stormy season begins!

TK

Just past the gate I had another cooperative Eastern Phoebe.

Eastern Phoebe

Northern Harriers are difficult to get photos of. At least for me. They are always tilting this way and that and I find it hard to get a shot of their heads. Got this one but wish the light was better and it was pretty far away.

Northern Harrier

Fulvous Whistling Ducks are often seen flying quickly from one side of the property to another but seldom sitting in the water. In fact, last year was my first official record of them but it was only by hearing them calling just past a clump of reeds. Today I decided to walk out along the back berm to see if I could get a shot. Fortunately, a small flock flew in as I walked so I was able to get some photos.

Fulvous Whistling Duck

Exploring further, I spotted a Ruddy Duck drifting along behind some trees.

Ruddy Duck

A lone Ring-necked Duck was a bit more in the back.

Ring-necked Duck

A pleasent surprise was a Gadwall resting on a branch.

Gadwall

American Wigeons have been reported so I was hoping to find them. A pair swam out as I headed back to the car.

American Wigeon

I now have sightings of American Wigeon from coast to coast in Florida and my first was out in Washington State years ago. The male gave me a nice wave "Goodbye!"

American Wigeon

There was also a report of some Northern Shovelers but I missed them the last time. Got one just before getting in the car (and out of the wind) hiding way behind the grasses.

Northern Shoveler

Near the end of the drive I spotted a flock of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks wandering through the grass.

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

A final bird of the drive. One of dozens of Belted Kingfisher. This one stared at me for a while instead of darting off like all the others.

Belted Kingfisher

Two trips around the drive is a nice way to begin the year. Hoping to make many more journeys out in 2016. Still need to get that Swamphen...

No comments: