Sunday, July 05, 2015

Lake Apopka Ospreys

Ospreys. A very wide-spread bird across the planet and a bird I remember even as a child living in Key West before I knew what birdwatching was. How many species did I walk right past way back then? But Ospreys are everywhere and especially in the early morning skies at Lake Apopka. They began searching for fish right after sunrise and were flying past me as I made my way into the North Shore Drive.

Osprey

My favorite part of the drive is that is runs primarily West so the rising Sun is behind you making for excellent lighting. The Ospreys were bringing in breakfast to almost any perch available but they really love telephone poles with their flat tops and height.

Osprey

In between meals they still sit there and watch these silly humans drive through their territory.

Osprey

Most things can't reach them at their dining table. Except maybe that wasp!

Osprey

Sometimes you can even spot the rare Double-tailed Osprey.

Osprey

You don't often see one sitting but this one appears to be using its meal for a cushion.

Osprey

Most of the fish is pretty clean. Sometimes things can get a bit more...messy.

Osprey

Out at the edge of the lake there seemed to be an inlet that was teaming with circling birds, most were Ospreys but they were too far off for an interesting shot. By the time I made my second run of the morning it seemed all of the birds were sated and I couldn't find many. However, one was waiting for me at the end of the drive as I made it toward home.

Osprey

I like Ospreys. Ospreys are cool.

No comments: