Sunday, December 07, 2014

More Hooded Mergansers Returning

I stopped by the retention pond after banding again. Surprise. I do it almost every week in the Winter. More Hooded Mergansers are in the pond now but it was a little overcast. At least I had one small flock near the car bridge.

Hooded Merganser

Most of them retreated to the opposite side of the pond but one stopped in front of me and seemed to just stare.

Hooded Merganser

A short time later I figured out why he was sticking to the spot. A female emerged from under the bridge to join him. They glided side by side to mingle with the rest of the birds.

Hooded Merganser

Up on the parking level was a collection of waders. I couldn't get the Great Egret in the photo but the Little Blue Heron and White Ibis were strolling the wall as friends.

Hooded Merganser

I will be back to check again next week. Maybe the light will be better.

No comments: