Friday, July 11, 2014

Mute Swans Half-way There

The Mute Swan family finally came out into the open and on the easier side of the lake so I could get some pictures.

Mute Swans

They drifted toward me and Dad quickly took the point between me and the young brood which is quickly getting near full size.

Mute Swans

Hard to believe that back in May this bird looked like this...

Mute Swans

...and is already grown to this.

Mute Swans

I was checking on the facts about Mute Swans and it appears that there are often different colors in the young, either gray or white. Doesn't seem to be any reason. They all turn out pure white when grown.

Mute Swans

Nice to see then looking big and healthy. I will be continuing to follow their progress when I can.

1 comment:

Wally Jones said...

Great photos of the Swan family! We have several in downtown Lakeland (Lake Morton) and I need to see what stage of development the young 'uns have reached.
Just like any kids, they grow up so fast!