Saturday, June 07, 2014

Bald Eagles Still Here is June

June. Our most quiet birding month as migrants are all gone. Seems I haven't been finding too many birds out there in a couple weeks. Of course, one of those weeks was getting the boys through graduations and cleaning house. My typical lake checks have turned up virtually nothing to blog home about.

I did go back to Greenwood Cemetery to check in on the Bald Eagle's progress as the days grow hotter when not cooled off by the afternoon rains. I did see Momma up in the nest tree so I got out to get a view. Suddenly, a shadow passed over me and I looked up to see one of the fledglings fly out. Both young birds are now out of the nest and flying about the area.

Bald Eagle

I turned my attention back to the female and got a shot of her in the shade regulating the heat.

Bald Eagle

Both of the fledglings were now in the pine used by Pappa as his perch. This is a tree that was right next to the old nest site tree that was killed during the hurricanes (has it been 10 years?!).

Bald Eagle

I headed over there to try for some closer views of the juveniles. The one that flew over me had its back to me but was lower for a better look.

Bald Eagle

Rounding the tree, I got a more full shot of the eaglet.

Bald Eagle

Higher up, the other eaglet flapped its wings in the late morning light.

Bald Eagle

Both look healthy for now but had better be prepared to head North asap.

No comments: