Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday Cruising

The Hooded Mergansers that were out at the retention pond have been rather absent from the roadside and I haven't stopped by to get a closer look for a while. Today, I swung through the church parking lot to see if anything was in the smaller pond by the parking lot. To my surprise, there was a large flock of them in this tiny pond. First time I have seen them in there.

Hooded Merganser

The Hooded Mergansers were swimming from side to side and it was fun to see them dive in groups...

Hooded Merganser

...and then rise to make the next pass. I didn't want to spook them too much so I kept my distance and moved along to the other lakes.

Hooded Merganser

Over at Lake Lancaster, there were several warblers (Palms) and I was going to give up on anything else until I heard a knocking in an oak. A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was really focused on a certain spot in the branches and I was glad it really didn't mind me getting out of the van to get a closer shot.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

I made my loop through the cemetery on the way home and saw another photographer parked and trying to get some sort of shot. I pulled ahead and looked left to see and hear a Bald Eagle zooming in toward the nest tree.

Bald Eagle

It actually seemed to be more interested in getting to its usual spot not far away but someone else was in the way. A Red-tailed Hawk was defiantly staying put in the eagle's daily perch.

Red-tailed Hawk

I have seen the Red-tail pair more often around the Bald Eagle nest. Wonder if they are trying to move in or get at any young that might already be there. Time will tell.

No comments: